Saturday, January 29, 2011

Uncertainty

My son Elliott and I arrived at his basketball game this morning to an empty parking lot at a church off Tuskaseegee Road. We entered the family life center, where only a few people were standing around in the chilly gym.

"Are you sure we're in the right place?" Elliott said.

The same question entered my mind seconds before. After all, we were 5 minutes late for pre-game warm ups.

"Let's wait and see," I said.

Waiting...uncertainty. These are hard to sit with - in life and in our writing.

You, as writers, might be uncertain about what your essay topic will be. This is normal. Waiting, sitting with uncertainty, is one of the most difficult -- and important -- parts of the writing process.

Soon, some of you will come to me and ask what you should write your paper on. I won't tell you. Instead, I will help you think of ideas, ask questions that might prompt ideas, or help you shape the focus of your ideas. But if I tell you what to write about, I would be robbing you of the experience of waiting.

The answers come.

How do I know?

My son's team and the opposing team showed up and the game happened. We lost, 27-16 (we're talking 8-9 year olds).

But that doesn't matter because we sat and waited and the answer came.

Mc
Sent by dang-blasted BlackBerry

2 comments:

  1. Waiting can be an excruciating experience, especially if it's an important event you're waiting on; however, I do know that sometimes it can all be worth it. Sometimes when you wait for something you're better off afterwards. I guess if you wait for something rather than forcing it to happen then it turns out better than you could have hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word up! And sometimes things turn out "worse" than you thought it would; however, with time, you begin to realize it unfolded exactly how it should have.

    That's my experience, anyway.

    ReplyDelete